Friday, March 24, 2006

Book Club

Since I just recently noticed the lack of reading goodness in my life, I decided to do something about it and gave up quite a few hours that I would normally spend sleeping (which just occured to me, I maybe do too much of these days... at least one night a week I'm usually in bed before 8:30 - but to defend myself I try to watch a movie before falling asleep) to read two books this week.
Now I know I say this about every book I read, but these two have seriously changed my life yet again. "The Red Tent" an almost secular look at the life of Dinah, Jacob's daughter by Leah (Gen. 34ish??). So I'm obviously a woman, but maybe a very sheltered one as this book taught me things that I had never imagined. I'm not just saying that I dozed off during sex-ed, emotional stuff too... kind of amazing. I am however very glad that one of my closest friends is a nurse. Chrys, I might need a mountain in Waterton and a talk right now...
The other book "The Glass Castle" is the memoirs of Jeannette Walsh. This one completely blew me away, I will never feel sorry for myself again. It's amazing to hear a story like hers and realize that she hasn't let herself become jaded or bitter, but still let her upbringing shape her life... I'm doing a poor job of explaining this, all I can say is read it, I will even loan it to you.
Next on the list is "The Picture of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde. It's been awhile since I've attempted a classic, Anna Karenina kind of took a round out of me, but since James Blunt sings about this one I thought I'd check it out. I'll keep you posted.

Now I feel old and blah becaues I just gave you a rundown of my reading list, and was really excited to do so. Am I really this person??
Absolutely.
Read away my friends.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

Wow Jess, you put me to shame on the reading scale of things. I've started flipping through some CS Lewis seeing how I have a bit of time on my hands.
-Mark

2:57 PM  
Blogger Chryslyn said...

hey jess. Its time we do have a chat about womanly things... hahahaha.
let me know about the dorian grey. you know i love blunt!

11:41 PM  
Blogger shareen said...

Oh Jess, Jess, Jess...I'm a reading fanatic! I've read both The Red Tent (kind of took me off guard too) and Glass Castle (incredible and gut wrenching). Thanks for the idea of Dorian...I'll look into that. If you ever need some reading material let me know--I've, literally, got stacks and stacks of books.

9:53 AM  
Blogger Alexa said...

Haha, I like how you said "Old and Blah" I don't even know why...it just made me laugh! Anyways, you're not old and blah...you are young and...whatever the opposite of blah is?!

I've hear the Red Tent is pretty incredible and I will read it sometime, after I finish the three books that I have started!

Have a good one!

6:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home