Friday, June 23, 2006

Mono Update

First of all thanks to all the well-wishers and loads of medical advice.. especially Dale.. Thanks for the heads up regarding the boils and paralysis. It's also been interesting to get second-hand advice from people I hardly even know.. (Shout out to Huntley)

Things are going pretty well, I seem to be improving a little bit everyday. The puffy eyes are almost a thing of the past.. only late at night or first thing in the morning. Trust me, we're all really happy about that. It's nice not to have small children cry out in fear when I approach them. The lymph nodes in my neck are starting to go down a little too. This is also a good thing... the first doctor I went to was pretty amazed by the state of my face and lymphatic system, spending several minutes prodding at my eyes and neck. He even made some pretty incredible notes about it in my medical records. When I saw my normal doctor this week, he even commented on it.

Named my spleen and my liver, I figured they might as well have names if they were going to have an active presence in my life. Ella, my spleen has actually been a bit of a little b*tch causing me some pain. She's been behaving for the most part today, so I'm hoping she's finished throwing tantrums. My liver, lovingly called The Shiv, hasn't been a problem as far as I know.. but my mom asks after him a lot. I guess I should be watching for jaundice.. Ella and The Shiv.. I feel inspired to write a short story about them or something. But I think instead I'll just take another nap. Seriously, I think the exhaustion has been the worst part. So tired and lethargic. I feel like I have 50 lb weights attached to my arms and legs and fingers and toes..
It's also been kind of hard coping with the complete boredom and loneliness. Mark was really great, always stopping by when he was in town, but I've had minimal social contact since he left. There's been a lot of alone time watching movies and reading. I guess it's kind of hard making friends when you have an infectious disease... I spent about half an hour with Chryslyn this afternoon which was the most I've seen her in weeks it seems. It was pretty funny, we ended up (accidentally) in the coffee room of a hatchery.. 'are you Joan??' 'Joan???!!!'

My profs have been really great, giving me some extra time to write my final exams. That's really appreciated, though clearing things with the admin. side of the U has been a little more difficult. The advising office made me make several trips back and forth to my doctor for more and more documentation.. a really nice thing to do to a girl with mono. I wanted to shoot someone. Well.. not just someone.. a certain advisor.. grrr Carla. It all worked out in the end though.

Alright.. time for that nap now.

8 Comments:

Blogger Jan said...

I hear your frustration with the U of L admin. I don't even think they know what they want some times.

I like Ella but I don't get "The Shiv"? What about your thymus are going to name it too?

7:57 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Keep feeling better Jess. See you soon.

11:17 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Poor Jess! Too bad there isn't a magic pill, eh?

I hope you start feeling better soon!

3:20 PM  
Blogger Stephen and Amber said...

Hey,
I hope you feel better. I seen mono at work with people and it is no fun. I felt prompted to write also because I have had problems with a person named Carla at the university...I am sure it is one and the same.

Take care of yourself.

10:48 AM  
Blogger Increasing... said...

and so it is that "Carla" came to become a euphamism of a monsterously insensitive blankety blank. In the mind of all gathered there grew a common distaste followed by a revolting shudder each that name was intoned...




Isn't that the name of the Esquires girl?
Get better Jessi...

8:47 AM  
Blogger Jan said...

I doubt that's her name and either way she is anything but a blankety blank. In fact, she is so blank gorgeous and blank blank blankety that she couldn't be even if she tried.

6:32 PM  
Blogger Jessi said...

it's fun filling in all the blanks, blankety blanks and blank blank blankety-s in my head...

5:03 PM  
Blogger Increasing... said...

okay okay fine her name is not CARLA already :)

gosh with all those blanks and blanketies it's getting almost like the Davinci code...

11:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home